HOTS is a feature with Archive Shuttle which allows for less bandwidth usage for migrations to Office 365 by combining a highly-optimised transfer system with storage of extracted data taking place in Microsoft Azure. The following diagram presents an overview of HOTS:
For migrations from legacy archives to Office 365 using HOTS the following needs to be considered:
- Using HOTS is supported for all currently supported sources, when migrating to Office 365 mailboxes or Personal Archives.
- More CPU usage might be needed on the source environment in order to create the HOTS-format data
- An Azure Storage Account must be configured and used for storing the extracted data
- All export and import modules must have been configured with the connection string to the Azure Storage Account
- A bridgehead server running the ingest and shortcut processing module should be deployed in Azure to facilitate the ingestion of the data from the Azure Storage Account. (The specification of the bridgehead server is given in the Installation Guide)
Note: It is possible to limit the storage used in Azure by configuring a high watermark for the links.
The following needs to be performed in Archive Shuttle in order to utilize HOTS:
In Archive Shuttle HOTS must be enabled in System Configuration -> General
Configuration on each module
Each Export Module must be configured with a connection string in order to be able to send data to the Azure Storage Account. This is configured in the Credentials Editor. The connection string is obtained from the Azure Portal. The corresponding Import Module needs to also be configured with the credentials.
Configuration on link
The source and target links need to use an appropriate Azure Storage Account connection. This is done from the Links page within Archive Shuttle.
High Watermark on link
By default Microsoft Azure places a very high maximum allowance for Storage Accounts. Customers may wish to restrict the usage of the Storage Account because it may involve additional cost to Microsoft. To place a limit on the amount of storage to be used the high watermark can be set on each of the source links.